Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Girl's Guide to Fantasy Football

It's too often that most of us ladies find ourselves waking up on a Sunday morning only to find our man slouched on the couch with a half eaten bowl of cereal and ESPN Sportscenter blaring in the background. It's like pulling teeth to get them to go outside or even turn on a light inside the bat cave. Unable to share in this phenomenon of Football Sunday we tend to reach out to other girlfriends and complain together about how much football season sucks. "I never get to do anything on the weekends with [insert boyfriend or husband's name] when its football season. Why can't it be over already?!"

This year my friend Sophie decided to start her own *all girls* fantasy football league: Hot in Spandex. Knowing all too well that I would channel my fiercely competitive and overachieving instincts, I decided to join the league and try to get more into the sport. Of course I didn't know squat about pro-football, the players, teams...none of that. I barely paid attention to the NFL. But I took the idea and ran with it, slowly enabling myself to relate to how exciting football Sundays actually are. And I suddenly realized there are plenty of women who like football on a much deeper level than worrying about game day recipes and which tight end has well, the best tight end...

Although I had an awesome time in my first fantasy football league, I'll admit that my team was an epic FAIL. Hey its only my first year right? I’ve been finding myself doing a lot of personal consoling, thinking "Don’t worry, you’ll kick ass next year,” and “You have every right to hate Alex Smith,” and “Maybe next time you should vow never to own a Panther.” Sometimes you just can't predict what's going to happen. I'm preparing myself for next year though, and I'm lobbying to get a lot more of my girl friends involved. I'm sure Derek is feeling proud (and relieved) that I'm able to occupy myself in a similar fashion during football season now!

My final playoff game stats vs Sophinator. I was in 2nd place for most of the season until the playoffs...where I placed 6th out of 8. So sad! 

No comments:

Post a Comment