Wednesday, May 11, 2011

top ten summer movies

Summertime is almost here, which means lot's of big blockbuster hits are about to come out! There are at least a dozen movies that I'm looking forward to going to see. Hopefully half of them don't turn out to be total duds like some of last years releases (I'd give a solid "F" grade to Grown Ups, Prince of Persia, Sex and the City 2 and Splice). These are the top ten movies I'm most looking forward to this summer- at least they look promising!

  10) Cars 2
photo credit: walt disney pictures
The original Cars was awesome! People put it low on the list of Pixar movies and I totally disagree.

 9) X-Men: First Class
photo credit: paramount pictures
Yes, I'm a huge nerd. I love absurd sci-fi thrillers and have already seen all the other X-Men movies. Prequels to hit franchises usually suck though, so I'm a little on the fence with this one. But I still have high hopes, the preview was pretty bad ass.

8) Friends with Benefits

photo credit: sony pictures entertainment inc.
This seems like a pretty similar flick to No Strings Attached with Natalie Portman, which I saw earlier this year (I actually liked it). I'm more excited to see this just because of the cast and less so because of the storyline.

7) Super 8
photo credit: paramount pictures
In the summer of 1979 a group of friends witness a mysterious train crash and begin noticing strange happenings around their small town. J.J. Abrams is one of my favorite directors and is pretty good about "keeping the surprise" so I'm curious to see what this film is all about. 

6) 30 Minutes or Less
photo credit: columbia pictures
Two criminals kidnap a pizza delivery guy and force him to rob a bank within 30 minutes. This comedy is directed by the same guy who did Zombieland and stars Jessie Eisenberg, Aziz Ansari and Danny McBride. These guys all make me laugh so I definitely have a good feeling about this one.

5) Crazy Stupid Love
photo credit: warner bros.
I'm in need of a good romantic comedy. This one is about a man (Steve Carell) who divorces his cheating wife (Julianne Moore) and takes lessons on how to date again (from Ryan Gosling). You had me at Ryan Gosling :)

4) Bellflower
photo credit: coatwolf productions
Bellflower is an indie film that premiered at Sundance and got rave reviews, and now its being wide released this summer. It's about a couple of guys who build flamethrowers and other weapons in the hope that a global apocalypse will occur and clear the way for their imaginary gang called Mother Medusa. The film seems a little dark and violent but has a very unique look (it was super low budget to produce).

3) Bad Teacher
photo credit: columbia pictures
I've already seen so many previews for this and it looks so effing funny. Cameron Diaz plays a boozing, toking junior high teacher who's dumped by her sugar daddy and begins to pursue a new colleague- who just happens to be played by her ex Justin Timberlake.

2) Tree of Life
photo credit: cottonwood pictures
Is this a dream cast? Starring Brad Pitt, who plays the father to a young boy who grows up to be Sean Penn. The film centers around a family with three boys in the 1950's. I hate to be bias but I usually like most movies Brad Pitt is in, which is why I'm putting this so high on my list.

1) The Hangover Part II
photo credit: relativity media
No explanation necessary. I have no doubt this will be hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment